New Book on the History of All Saints' Cathedral Print E-mail

The History of All Saints Cathedral'The Greek Orthodox Cathedral Church of All Saints, Camden Town, London', by the Revd. Deacon Meliton-Richard Oakes (ISBN 978-0-9550764-2-8) is the only book to date which gives a detailed historical account of the history of the Cathedral since its establishment as an Anglican Chapel in the early nineteenth century until today.  Published on 9th March 2009, it can be purchased at All Saints' Cathedral, Camden Town, London.

The book, to which Archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira and Great Britain has contributed a prologue, is divided into four sections namely: The Church as a Anglican building (covering to period 1822-1948, and including brief biographies of the principal clergy who served there), The Church as an Orthodox building (from 1948 to date, again with biographies of the clergy who have served there), The church today (including a description of the building and its furnishings), and The future.

An appendix gives details of the lives of three people associated with the church in its Anglican days: its first perpetual curate, the Revd. Alexander d'Arblay, son of the novelist, playwright and diarist Fanny Burney; its first organist, Samuel Wesley; and a twentieth-century curate, the Revd. Frank Harrison Edinger, who was to die tragically during the First World War).

The book is available in English and includes 63 illustrations in black & white and eleven in colour (in addition to a full-colour cover).

All the incomes of the book sales (when purchased through the Cathedral) will go towards the Restoration Fund of All Saints.

Price: £15.00 (paperback).